Thursday, September 11, 2008

Evolution versus Creationism

http://www.sciam.com/report.cfm?id=creationism-vs-evolution

I believe in evolution. I think it is scientifically sound. I think that creationism is a religious belief, and it is not the place of society to teach children the soundness of religious beliefs.

However, I think as a society, through the evolution of public policy and judicial rulings, we have set up a public education system that tells some parents that if they want their children to have the benefit of a public education that there children must be subjected to teachings that specifically say the parents religious beliefs are wrong. I think that is just as wrong as having public schools teaching religion.

There is a very easy way to avoid this (i.e., school vouchers), but unfortunately the Democratic Party and some judges have stood in the way of this public policy option.